Children and Young People
Who can be seen?
OHSPIC also offers treatment to children and young people. Treatment follows a similar approach for young people aged 5 and over who are struggling with an anxiety problem or related issue such as:
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Emetophobia or specific phobia of vomiting
- Social anxiety
- Panic disorder
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Post traumatic stress disorder.
What will treatment involve?
The service can offer a program of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This will involve regular sessions with a therapist that may take place weekly or for a shorter, more intensive period of time. Sessions can take place in the clinic or at home if needed.
How will treatment for young people be different to treatment for adults?
OHSPIC will offer disorder specific CBT interventions to children but there will be some key differences in how this is delivered:
- The way we talk about problems and the activities we do in session will be delivered in a way that makes sense to each young person, sometimes drawing on particular interests young people have and often making use of being active and completing tasks with the therapist outside of the clinic room.
- Parents and carers will be invited to be part of the sessions in a way that feels helpful to the young person.
- As parents are at home with their children it is important that they really understand the problem and how to help beat it. If it is hard for parents to be involved in each session, time can be given to speak with them between sessions to help the whole family figure out the best way to overcome the problem.
- It’s really common for anxiety problems to have an impact on lots of different areas of life such as home, school, friends and social activities. To make sure we have the best chance of getting rid of the problem will be to make sure that everyone can work on it in the same way. This may involve speaking to people from school or other organisations but we would agree a plan to do this with you to ensure that it is helpful.